Sunday 8 August 2010

Vegetarian Diets

Yes I know I said I would post only two or three times a week and this is my third post in three days but hey I'm a girl and we're allowed to change our minds, lol. Today I'd like to discuss the different kinds of vegetarian diets out there as many people thing that vegetarian simply means not eating meat but that is a generalisation that in some cases is unfounded.

Vegan Diet
Vegans don't eat red meat, poultry, fish, eggs and any dairy products so milk, yoghurt, cheese and butter is off the menu guys.This is the diet I live on and have done so for the last 6 years now.

Lacto-Vegetarian diet
People who follow this diet don't eat red meat, poultry, fish or eggs but dairy products such as milk, cheese, yoghurt and butter is allowed so if you can't live without dairy this may be the way to go for you.

Lacto-ovo Vegetarian diet
the followers of the Lacto-ovo diet don't eat red meat, fish or poultry but eggs and all dairy products are allowed so if you like a large portion of the British public like a good old fashioned full English breakfast well minus the sausage and bacon this is the diet for you, lol.

And last but not least there is the Semi-Vegetarian diet
This is mainly a plant based diet but allows for the consumption of red meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products in small quantities or on special occasions, I like to call this the half a***d vegetarian diet as it just sounds like a regular diet to me what do you guys think?

There is of course many different reason for choosing to follow a vegetarian diet for some it's a cultural thing or for religious or ethical reasons and for others it's because they think it makes them look cool, lol, whatever it is that attracts people to the vegetarian lifestyle doesn't really matter as following this kind of diet can actually have great benefits in the long term especially for your health as a strict vegetarian diet along with regular exercise can lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, lessen the risk of obesity so there for lessen the chance of heart disease and can prevent such illnesses such as stroke, diabetes and some research even suggest it can lower your risk of cancer.

And if all that health stuff doesn't sway you maybe this will here's a link to a website that lists a ton of really cool celebs that are Vegetarians, lol, I know that this kind of thing sways some people. http://www.happycow.net/famous_vegetarians.html
Oh and being a vegetarian lowers the price of your weekly shopping bill on average by a third which in hard financial times like these is a really good thing to know.

Sealed with a kiss, ciao.
Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. I honestly didn't realise there were so many health benefits to becoming a vegetarian. I would only miss eating meat I guess at Christmas as you know my Mum is an awesome cook or Burns Night for haggis but that aside I can't honestly say I'd miss eating meat at all. You may have your first convert hon, lol, and I didn’t need to see the list of celebs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww babes I'm going to smother you with kisses, lol, I know no surprises there. You should check out that list babes your hero B.B King was on it. Oh and I can make a vegetarian Haggis which tastes awesome and at Christmas I can't compete with your Mum's cooking but I can give you an extra special present to unwrap(blushes)lol, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without having gone on a diet, I eat as much fruit and veggies as possible, and as little meat. No pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being and Quirkiness cool name, yeah you don't need to go on a "diet" to have a well balanced diet in life I just used the "d" word as short hand for a person's eating habits. It's so cool to hear from you and I hope you enjoyed my wee blog and will come back soon.

    ReplyDelete